Boush Street Offices

Monday, August 12, 2013

Mayhem Architecture

Last week I ran my first "mud run". Mud & Music Mayhem. If you don't know what this is, just throw in a blender a 6 mile run through the hillside, a series of mud puddles and about 30 different play ground contraptions. Turn it on high and mayhem is what comes out. The whole problem with this idea for me is the last time I visited a playground I was just a young kid......not a kid anymore. The problem with mud puddles up to your waist is that I never really liked getting messy as a kid. I never ate cotton candy....it was a sticky mess....I know, I know. And finally the problem with 6 miles right now is I am just building back up to that distance. Throw them all together and you could have a catastrophe or maybe something really special. It all depends on how you approach it.

So how does that relate to architecture? I think we can make a lot of comparisons. We could certainly make the analogy between this mud run and all it obstacles versus a very difficult and challenging project. Maybe even the comparison with going through architecture school, graduating, finding work, years of internship and ultimately crossing the finish line by obtaining the sacred licensure.

All great references but I think I will choose to compare the challenges of starting, running and operating a business, specifically an architecture firm with this crazy mud run. 

The Starting Line: There is so much excitement and energy at the beginning that it is hard to contain oneself. As matter of fact, those of us experienced in races realize that you probably should pace yourself just a bit so you don't burn out too soon. Many a times I (in my turtle pace) have been passed in the beginning only to eventually catch up to those rabbits walking along side the roadway further ahead. Businesses can be the same way. It is great to be excited but pacing yourself or maybe PLANNING for all of the race is a wise game plan.

The First Obstacles: You come upon the first hurdle...and you knew there were going to be some...and you take it on. That is great, a perfect attitude. Except, you may have never taken on an obstacle like this before. It might be a bit of a struggle. You might even get a few cuts and bruises. Just depends on the task. If you have prepared yourself mentally for these challenges then you are way ahead of the game. So many go into business thinking that we will never hit any walls only to find out business is not always a bed of roses.

More Obstacles: What?! There are more? Yep. At least in a race they tell you there will be a certain number of obstacles. In life and business there isn't such an outline. You don't know when or where they will occur. You don't know what or how difficult they will be. But you just need to keep on. So many hit these walls and give up. The true test is how well have you have prepared yourself. In architecture we are trained to become problem solvers. Thus puts our skills to a true test by figuring out a solution to this business obstacle as well. Problem is....architecture schools don't really teach you business skills. And as many of us that would like to think we are good designers.....that doesn't always automatically make us good businessmen. Payroll, marketing, new work, new hires, leasing space, buying software, managing growth....on and on. 

The first obstacles are struggles and afterwards we usually prepare ourselves better. My first contract proposals were only a page long. Now they start at four pages and they always accompany the AIA agreement. I learned.....maybe the hardway. However there will be other unknown and unexpected obstacles that we will find. Attack them with the same aggressiveness. In the mud run, initially I was cautiously tip toeing into the muddy waters. Towards the end of the run...I just jumped in...no hesitation! Even the next day walking around a shopping center with my wife I saw a rain puddle in the parking lot......I had the urge to go roll around in it. I had become a master of the mayhem!

The Push: There is a push at the end of a run to conquer strong. Now this may compare to the end of a project, a fiscal year or maybe even the end of a wonderful career. We all want to finish strong. Everyone will be there at the finish line watching. The race photographers will be there to snap your picture. I always try to pick it up at the end and hold my head up high even if I have been completely drained during a race. It is like a pro football player going out on top rather than having to change teams over and over trying to hang on longer than he should. However, at the end of a mud run, they often stack those darn obstacles back to back. Mine had this vicious rock hill to climb only to be followed by swimming across a small lake. I had no breath left in me. Drained. No that wasn't the end. The finally was a series of mud hills that you had to climb while someone had a firehose spraying you....and then climb through a tube half full of muddy water....and then under a barbwire maze through more muddy water. And yes, near the finish line so everyone was watching. I did manage to gather enough energy for a slight trot across the line.

So I say sometimes Architecture is Mayhem. Remember the charettes in school? Maybe a few still in the real world. Deadlines are still required. Our clients still want their product. And we still want perfection. Do all of this and accomplish everyone's goals.....and oh yeah....make a profit. Art and Architecture. Our slogan says our work is where they come together. And when they do actually come together, the reward is received and waiting for us at the finish line.

Run, my friends. Run and have fun!

www.ionicdezigns.com
D. Eugene Thompson, AIA
Ionic DeZign Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment